This time of year, we’re all tempted to snuggle up under the covers and reach for another cup of hot chocolate. When you’re out on the road on a particularly chilly morning with your Little Guy, it’s important to have food items that travel easily and are delicious!
To get your day started right while on the road, heat up a slice of cranberry orange chocolate chip bread. Cranberries are at the height of their season this month and this bread is a delicious breakfast or dessert item.
4 cups flour
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup melted butter
1 ½ cups orange juice
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole cranberries
1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips
- Before you start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Since the recipe yields two loaves, make sure to spray each loaf pan generously with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Use a whisk to ensure ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Set the bowl aside. In another bowl, mix the eggs, orange juice and zest, vanilla extract, orange extract and melted butter.
- Gather both bowls and pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and gently blend. Make sure to mix until just blended. Now, add the cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Gather your two baking pans and pour the mixture evenly between the two. Place the pans in the oven and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Your loaves are done when you can insert a toothpick or knife point into the loaf and it emerges clean.
And that’s it! This fairly simple recipe is delicious and so easy to take with you on the road. You can even freeze a couple of loaves before heading out with your Little Guy, and let them thaw for the morning. If you’ve tried the recipe, leave a comment below! Let us know how delicious it was and any additional tips you may have. Happy baking!